Thursday, August 27, 2009

Savory Snack


I wanted to take some time to introduce a wonderful new snack food I tried a few weeks ago, Alexia Onion Strips. I'd seen the commercials for the onion strips, and my wife and I had wanted to try them because it seemed interesting that the company prided itself on being able to put "real onions in their onion strips." So a couple weeks ago, during one of our many trips to Publix, we decided to give the onion strips a try as an afternoon snack. What a good decision that turned out to be! These things taste awesome!


First, they're not kidding about having real onions in their product. In the ingredients, it says they use spanish onions and there is no other mention of artificial onion flavoring or anything like that. You can really taste a difference in the real onions versus some onion flavoring, like you might get in a bag of Funyuns. However, the thing that puts the Alexia Onion Strips over the top for me, even more so than the real onions, is the crunchy outside surrounding the onion. It's like biting into a great tasting onion ring. The batter is seasoned and crispy and it doesn't flake apart as soon as you take a bite of it. If you're a fan of onion rings, this could quickly become an addictive snack for you, like it has for me.

Now, a couple issues with this product you might want to consider. One - this isn't exactly a healthy treat. The company advertises their products as being 100% All Natural (which means virtually nothing) and they boast about having no trans fat, which also isn't very relevant. The fact is, a serving size (which is very small) has 150 calories, and it offers no nutritional value. And with a food like this, it's very easy to eat the whole bag before you know it, and then you've downed almost 700 calories. Ouch! The other issue with these onion strips is that they aren't easy on the bank account. They usually cost about $3.50 and there's only 4.5 servings in an entire bag, so it's not best value. However, the Alexia website will occassionally give away some promotional coupons and sometimes they are BOGO at Publix, which makes it a much better deal.

Personally, Alexia has made me a believer. I've tried the Waffle Fry Snacks and haven't had as much success, but I am a HUGE fan of the Onion Strips and I'm looking forward to trying out some of the frozen products. So if you go to the grocery story and pick up a bag of these onion strips and become addicted, don't say I didn't warn you! (and send me a bag!)

0 comments: