Friday, August 7, 2009

Divine Velvet

When it comes to dessert, there are few things I like more than a great piece of cheesecake. However, one of those things is a great piece of red velvet cake. But when someone is able to take good red velvet cake and combine it with delicious cheesecake, it's mouthwatering just thinking about it.


Last week, The Cheesecake Factory unveiled the newest addition to their menu, Stefanie's Ultimate Red Velvet Cheesecake. I was there, ready to try out a slice, and hoping for the best but worrying I might be disappointed. I'm always confident in The Cheesecake Factory's ability to provide delicious cheesecake, but their version of the red velvet cake and the icing were what made me nervous. Sometimes red velvet cakes have no flavor or they are to dry or bitter (See: D.D.'s Cupcake Shoppe) or the icing is too sweet or cheesy. After taking my first bite, I felt guilty for ever doubting their ability and I want to thank Stefanie (whoever she is) for her Ultimate Red Velvet Heaven.

The cake and cheesecake blended together perfectly. The cake was moist and delicious but firm enough to where it didn't crumble apart when you cut a bite with your fork. The cake also served as the crust, which I really liked because sometimes a traditional crust gets tough to cut through and then makes things messier than you really want them. The icing wasn't overpowering and offered great flavor, especially when combined with the cake AND cheesecake. And when you throw in some fresh whipped cream and shavings of white chocolate, you've got a harmony of
flavors that lets you drift away in happiness.

I think I could go back and order this dessert every time I eat at The Cheesecake Factory and I'd probably never be disappointed. The texture and flavors were delicious and it was rich but not totally overpowering. Yet, it will probably be a while before I order this again because I've got a bigger plan in mind. I hope to be able to try every cheesecake offered on their menu, even the ones with flavors I don't particularly like (raspberry, tiramisu, kahlua). I figure if anyone can pull off a dessert with flavors I don't normally like, it's Stefanie and her friends at The Cheesecake Factory.

The Cheesecake Factory on Urbanspoon

0 comments: