Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Pitt Stop

One of the nice things about all the daily deal companies that have become so popular is they feature businesses you might not have previously known about. For me, an example of this was Pitt Boss BBQ. I don't spend a lot of time in southwest Roanoke, and I rarely make it out past the corner of Brambleton and 419, so I'd never seen Pitt Boss before going a few weeks ago. Of course, we went a little overboard and had two of the daily deal specials, which led to eating there twice over the span of about a week.

The design of the building is interesting. I don't think I've ever been to a BBQ restaurant with a log cabin exterior - it seemed like the architect was a big fan of Lincoln Logs. And the aroma as you come into the parking lot is enough to make your stomach growl. The interior of the restaurant is divide into two parts - one as a sports bar and the other as a casual dining room. Both sides feature multiple TV's, which would make Pitt Boss a good place to watch a game - a relaxed atmosphere that wouldn't be too crowded or loud. The service was good and the kitchen seemed to be able to have the orders ready in a reasonable amount of time.

The two nights we went for dinner, they were running a special on half-price hush puppies and hot dogs. I wasn't interested in the hot dogs, but the hush puppies served as a good appetizer. They are served in a giant, hollowed out beer bottle with a side of butter, which makes for a cool presentation. The hush puppies are served piping hot, but have good sweetness and crunch along with a hint of onion (although not overpowering). The first time I ate at Pitt Boss, I ordered the smoked turkey sandwich on a pretzel roll. The meat on the sandwich is served dry because they offer a variety of sauces on the table, and I had a tough time choosing because I liked most of them. I can't remember the name of the sauce I had but it had a nice sweet and smoky flavor. The sandwich was also topped with lettuce, tomato, and cheese, but the best part about it was the pretzel roll, which gave it a nice twist a difference in texture. It also helped hold the sandwich together, which was loaded with meat and toppings. The sandwich came with a choice of a side and I picked the collard greens, which again had smoky flavor - perfect for a BBQ restaurant. The second time I was there, I ordered a platter with smoked chicken, cole slaw, and collard greens again. Again, the meat had good flavor and tenderness and I loved both of the sides.

The prices at Pitt Boss are very reasonable. Most sandwiches and entrees are under $10, which makes them cheaper than Blues BBQ and a menu that has more variety than what'd you get at Henry's Memphis BBQ. I don't think I'll become a regular at Pitt Boss because of the location, but it will definitely serve as a good change of pace from time to time.

Pitt Boss BBQ on Urbanspoon

0 comments: