Monday, October 31, 2011

A Charming Bistro

Yesterday, we made another trip to Lexington to see my cousin play soccer. He's on the team at Washington & Lee and they had their first game in the ODAC Conference Tournament. Turns out it would be their only game in the tournament as they lost 1-0, which ends the season. Following the soccer, he recommended we try a new restaurant and we hoped the results would be better than the game.

After reading previous reviews on Urbanspoon, I had high hopes for Bistro on Main. And from visiting their website, it seemed like a place that would have a nice atmosphere with quality food without being overly fancy. It didn't disappoint. If I had to describe it in one word, I would say "cozy." It's not a big restaurant, but it's not so small you feel claustrophobic. The lighting, service, and atmosphere combine to create an environment that is very welcoming, yet not overwhelming. It's casual and classy.

I was very impressed with the service we received. Our waitress was friendly and fun without being obnoxious or awkward, which can be a fine line with good service. She made sure our glasses were full, checked on us regularly throughout the meal, and brought our dishes at the appropriate time. I wish I could remember her name to give her the credit she deserves. She did an excellent job throughout the meal.

Grilled Salmon
The food was on par with the service. First, they serve homemade beer bread to your table before your food arrives. This beer bread was heavenly. A perfect crust with a sweet flavor that almost reminds you of cake. After tasting the bread and needing a second to return to Earth, I had a difficult time deciding what to order. The menu featured a variety of dishes I would have enjoyed, but I went with the grilled salmon. The salmon was topped with a mango salsa and served with sides of mashed sweet potatoes and cooked spinach. The salmon with the mango salsa was delicious. The combination of grilled fish and fruit (especially citrus fruits) is one of my favorites, and the Bistro on Main did a great job preparing this dish. Initially, I was skeptical of the sides when I saw them on the plate, but they won me over in a hurry. The cooked spinach had delicious flavor and the mashed sweet potatoes had very good texture and hints of cinnamon. Two sides I'd consider as perfect for fall weather paired with a fish and topping that reminds me of summer. Maybe not everyone's preference, but I loved it.

Near the end of the meal, I realized why Bistro on Main seemed so familiar. It reminded me of Last Resort Grill, one of the best restaurants in Athens. Both have a cool atmosphere and serve awesome food with fresh ingredients. To find a place in this area that would remind me of Last Resort is a huge compliment to Bistro on Main. After this experience, the other restaurants in Lexington have a very difficult standard to meet.

Bistro On Main on Urbanspoon

0 comments: