Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Saturday Tidbits

I should probably have my ability to make college football predictions revoked after this past weekend. I was wrong with a ton of picks and looked rather foolish in making some bold statements about teams that totally let me down. However, I spent a large part of the day watching games and taking it all in and had plenty of random thoughts throughout the day about the teams and players I was watching:

- Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt's Head Coach, looks like he should enjoy sailing near Martha's Vineyard. Bless his heart.
- There were a number of great defensive plays in the Texas/Oklahoma game made by some serious playmakers. It was one of the hardest fought games I've seen this season and I really enjoyed watching it.
- I would say Mark Ingram, the Alabama running back, should be the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy.
- I would also say that Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow have yet to do anything that warrants them being in the Heisman discussion, yet they're still in it.
- Jimmy Clausen might be the more valuable to his team than any one player to any other team in the country.
- The hits Sam Bradford has taken this season would concern me if I were an NFL GM because those types of hits don't seem too uncommon.
- The ACC might have the worst divisional alignment I've ever seen (even worse than the Big 12), with the top three teams in the same division.
- I will continue to hate on Iowa because I still think they're overrated and I'm now probably basing it on my own stubborn opinion more than anything else.
- Nick Saban has quickly created a mentality at Alabama where they beat most teams by simply walking out onto the field - similar to FSU and Miami (FL) during the 90's.

- I don't know how to describe what Rennie Curran means to the Georgia defense. To say he's the heart of the defense is an understatement. He's the leader. He's the playmaker. He's often the game-saver. When I get older, I'll tell people, "I went to Georgia in the time of Rennie Curran."

0 comments: