Saturday, October 24, 2009

College Football Pick 'Em: Week Eight

After last week's debacle of predicting games, I probably shouldn't even take a shot at this. But, since this isn't for money and this is read by about ten people, who cares?!

#1 Florida vs. Mississippi State: Historically, Florida doesn't play well at Mississippi State and they're going into this game beat up and facing a former coordinator. I think it could be a close game, but the Gators win.
#2 Alabama vs. Tennessee: A battle of defensive gurus in this one. Too bad for Tennessee that most of the playmakers will be wearing crimson helmets. Roll Tide!
#3 Texas vs. Missouri: If Colt McCoy is going to win the Heisman, he needs to have one of those 400 yard, 5 TD games and he might be able to get it against this Mizzou defense. I think the Longhorns win big.
#4 Boise State vs. Hawaii: Boise State looks better and better as Oregon continues to move up in the rankings. I like them to take down the Fighting Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii this week.
#5 Cincinnati vs. Louisville: I wouldn't be surprised if Cincinnati struggled in this game, but I still think they'll get the win.
#6 Iowa vs. Michigan State: At what point will I give Iowa some respect? They are undefeated and they did get a good win on the road last week at Wisconsin, which is a tough place to play. Not this week! Michigan State gets the upset playing in the night game at home!
#7 USC vs. Oregon State: USC should show up ticked off after last year's upset from the Beavers. I think this game could get ugly and the Trojans win big.
#8 TCU vs. #16 BYU: I'm glad College Gameday stepped up and has their set at this game today, because it is the biggest match-up of the weekend. I like TCU to win because their defense is consistently good and I think they have enough speed to make it difficult for the BYU offense.
#9 LSU vs. Auburn: If this game were at Auburn, I'd take the Tigers. (How stupid is it that these two teams play in the some division of a conference and have the SAME name!) But, since it's a night game at LSU, I like the Bayou Bengals to win at home.
#10 Miami (FL) vs. Clemson: Miami hasn't been quite as impressive in their last two games against bad opponents, but I think that's the case of a young team not being as energized to play in games that aren't against marquee names. I think Miami wins this weekend, mainly because Clemson sorta' sucks.
#11 Oregon vs. Washington: Who'd have thought Oregon would be sneaking into the Top 10 after their opening week performance? I think the Ducks keep moving along with a win over UW.
#12 Georgia Tech vs. Virginia: Georgia Tech completes a sweep of the commonwealth teams with a win over the Cavs this week.
#13 Penn State vs. Michigan: I like Michigan in the upset in this game. I think Michigan will be able to turn this game into a shootout, and Penn State won't be able to keep up.
#14 Virginia Tech vs. Idle
#15 Oklahoma State vs. Baylor: Oklahoma State gets the win.
#17 Houston vs. SMU: Houston wins this one, and should be ranked ahead of Oklahoma State.
#18 Utah vs. Air Force: The continued trend of me knowing NOTHING about the teams Utah plays, so I'll take Utah.
#19 Ohio State vs. Minnesota: Same issue as last week with Minnesota, they're not good enough to beat the best teams from the Big 10. Buckeyes roll.
#20 Pittsburgh vs. South Florida: Anytime expectations get moderately high at Pittsburgh, they crumble under the pressure and spotlight. Now that the Panthers are ranked and appear to be good, I think they'll lose to South Florida.
#21 Wisconsin vs. Idle
#22 Arizona vs. UCLA: I'll take Arizona. I like the Stoops brothers coaching that team and I think they come ready to play.
#23 West Virginia vs. UConn: I can't imagine what it will be like in the UConn locker room today - playing without a teammate who was murdered just a few days ago. I think the Huskies will play hard and inspired, but West Virginia will still win the game.
#24 South Carolina vs. Vanderbilt: South Carolina will destroy the Vanderbilt offense and the score will probably not indicate how lopsided this game is.
#25 Kansas vs. Oklahoma: Even with Sam Bradford, I think Oklahoma is better than Kansas. Sooners in the mildest of upsets.

0 comments: