Monday, March 26, 2012

Set Sail

Room with a view
If you travel to the West Palm Beach area, you’ll learn Riviera Beach isn’t exactly a popular hotspot for people to hang out. Instead of being known for beautiful beaches and glamorous riches, Riviera Beach is more known for crime, poverty, and public health problems. It is one of the cultural complexities of Palm Beach County – you have the richest of the rich living right beside the poorest of the poor. Just across the Intracoastal Waterway from Riviera Beach is Singer Island, which is full of beachfront condos and luxurious marinas, one being the Sailfish Marina. And the Sailfish Marina also happens to have a restaurant we have visited multiple times, including a visit during our recent vacation.

The setting for the restaurant and marina is gorgeous and classic South Florida. The restaurant faces the Intracoastal Waterway and Peanut Island, offering wonderful views of the boats in the marina as well as the island out in the center of the waterway. There is outdoor seating as well as an indoor patio and I really don't think there's a bad seat in the entire restaurant. This is the sort of place that is as popular for it's atmosphere as it is for the food.

Nicole got stoned
However, even without the atmosphere, this is probably the restaurant Nicole was most looking forward to during our time in Florida. You can get good seafood all over the place in South Florida, but crab legs can be a bit more difficult to come across, especially Stone Crabs. Stone Crabs are a local delicacy in South Florida and Nicole is a crab legs connoisseur. Sailfish Marina is the only place we've been that serves Stone Crab claws, and there was no question as to what Nicole would be ordering. I also ordered something featuring crab, but it wasn't quite as extravagant as Nicole's stone crabs - I ordered the Caribbean Crab Nachos.

I'd had the crab nachos multiple times, but it was always as an appetizer for the table. This time, I realized the nachos were always my favorite part of the meal, so I decided to have them as my entree. The nachos are served as a large pile of tortilla chips as the base and then topped with black beans, mango, jack cheese, cream cheese, and lumps of crab meat. The first time I saw it on the menu, I thought it was an odd combination. Now, it is up there with Pappasito's as the best nachos I've ever had. The sweetness of the mango is excellent with the richness of the crab meat and the saltiness of the tortilla chips. And as the cream cheese begins to melt, it makes it all come together. I've tried to copy this recipe multiple times, but I haven't been able to do it. I guess there is just something magical about the way it's made at Sailfish.

One of the things on our vacation bucket list was getting Nicole some stone crabs. At Sailfish Marina, she was able to enjoy her crab claws and I can't complain about my meal either. Great food and wonderful views...and you begin to understand why so many consider South Florida to be paradise.

Sailfish Marina Restaurant on Urbanspoon

0 comments: