Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wild at Heart


Last week, I had the opportunity to have lunch at Wildflour. I had been to Wildflour a LONG time ago and am kicking myself for not having returned sooner.

The restaurant is located in the Old Southwest neighborhood of Roanoke on 4th street and couldn't have a more charming spot. It has the perfect, quaint neighborhood vibe that fits so well in this section of town. They offer a few tables in front of the restaurant for outdoor seating and they have comfortably sized dining room - I was actually surprised at how big it is. When I went for lunch on a Friday, it was around 1:30 and there was still a steady flow of people coming in and out. Parking can be a bit tricky, but it isn't too difficult to find a spot on one of the surrounding side streets.

When I started to look through the menu, I was again surprised at how big it was. I had always known Wildflour for their baked goods: breads, cakes, etc. I assumed the sandwiches would be very good, but I didn't realize there would be so many other entree selections. They had an entire page of vegetarian entrees, and I was very tempted to try the Evie's Red Beans and Rice. However, I was in the mood for something lighter and decided to have a turkey sandwich and cup of soup. The sandwich was good, especially with the homemade bread, but the soup was the star. The soup for that day was Potato Feta, and I was ready to lick my cup clean by the end of it. It was served hot and the feta wasn't too overpowering, and the fresh herbs were unbelievably flavorful. It was the best cup of soup I've had in a long time.

Because I didn't have Nicole with me, I decided to pass on dessert. They have a reputation for having the best cakes in Roanoke, and they are where I first learned about Better Than Sex Cake. When I return with Nicole, I'm sure trying some of the cakes for dessert will be a requirement. Can't complain about that.

In my opinion, the prices were pretty standard. It costs $8.25 for the soup & sandwich, which is comparable to the You Pick 2 deal at Panera. I'd take the turkey sandwich at Panera over Wildflour's but the Potato Feta soup blows everything else out of the water. And most of the other lunch entrees and sandwiches appeared to be in the $6-$9 range.

Roanoke has something special in Wildflour. The owners do a terrific job and you can see their hard work shine through the quality of their food. I enjoyed everything about my experience and plan to return again very soon.

Wildflour Market and Bakery on Urbanspoon

0 comments: