Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bad Form

Earlier this week, my dad and I decided to have lunch at Formosa. Normally, we head to Wasabi's for sushi, but wanted to change it up and give Formosa a shot. Formosa is located downtown on Campbell Avenue, between Alejandro's and Mill Mountain Coffee.

When we arrived around noon, the place was nearly empty. Business started to pick up about 30 minutes later but it was still nowhere near as busy as Wasabi's or some of the other popular downtown lunch locations. They offer outdoor seating as well as a dining room and sushi bar. The interior is very modern and clean looking - and I think they might become more of a lounge and club later at night.

The service was very good, which shouldn't be too difficult when there are so few people in the restaurant. Our waitress brought us hot towels as we looked over our menus and was friendly and prompt with everything during the meal. After the meal, she brought us hot towels and chocolate mints - a nice little touch.

All the extracurricular aspects of Formosa make it a nice place - but I wasn't impressed with the food or the prices. They have a nice selection of lunch dishes with different choices for sushi or cooked dishes like rice or noodles. I decided to have the Sushi Special with miso soup. The sushi special is a six-piece California roll and 4 pieces of nigiri that are selected by the chef - my four pieces were tuna, albacore tuna, flounder, and salmon. The soup that came out before the entree was good - served hot with plenty of flavor and not too salty, which can be a problem with miso soup. However, the sushi was a disappointment. The California roll lacked flavor because the crab meat in the roll tasted very pedestrian. The pieces of nigiri were very small and the rice began to crumble apart as soon as I would pick up a piece. Overall, the entire plate of food was small. The flavors were okay, but I found myself thinking, "that's it?" after I finished. Actually, the best part of the meal was the drink my dad ordered. If you haven't heard of bubble tea, you really should give it a try!

I'd compare the entire sushi experience to something similar you could get from the sushi counter at Kroger or Publix. And for $10.50 for the Sushi Special, I didn't think there was anything very special about it. I'm glad I gave Formosa a try because I'd been curious about how it compared to Wasabi's. Now, I know. Now, I appreciate Wasabi's even more.

Formosa Restaurant Lounge on Urbanspoon

1 comments:

formosa said...

After reading your review seems you know about " Sushi" lots more than the sushi chef been working in the sushi bar more than 15 years !!!! Just like I am saying your Writing in English is. so so something compared to the student in the elemantry school !Everyone taste different !! There is no restaurant can make 100% customer happy !!! You could say you don't like it but don't need to make common and you actually don't know how to really make them (sushi) spend more time go open your eyes to see the world better than judged everything in you "" Dream BLOG"