Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Welcome Committee

When I came back to Roanoke a few months ago, I was stunned when I saw the signs for a Chipotle that was under construction. They are taking over the old Hollywood Video store at Towers Mall on Colonial Avenue and they are scheduled to open on Tuesday, June 7. Ironically, I wasn't a big fan of Chipotle after my first visit because I thought the food was too spicy (some of the spice on their meat is no joke). Now, I think I've tried everything on the menu, figured out the milder items, and it has become one of my favorite places to eat.

In what has become a growing industry of tex-mex/fast food burrito companies, I think Chipotle is the gold standard. It's comparable to Moe's, QDoba, Barberitos, Willy's, & other chains, but Chipotle focuses primarily on burritos and tacos - that's it. Everything is cooked fresh and they talk about how they teach their employees how to cook, not just press buttons and make cookie cutter recipes. The company is also founded on principles of finding fresh ingredients that taste great and aren't harmful to the environment. They do everything they can to serve organic and hormone free ingredients while keeping prices as low as possible. I think it's a great formula: quality ingredients that are freshly prepared by people that know how to cook for a reasonable price (~$7). The chain has exploded over the past few years and new locations are popping up all over the country, including Roanoke!

When I drove by the new location a few weeks ago, the thought crossed my mind of camping out for the grand opening. I know people who've participated in Chick-Fil-A grand openings to receive free food for a year, but I didn't know if it would be something that would work with Chipotle - especially without the promise of any free food. I told some family and friends about the idea and people seemed interested, so I decided to see what store management thought. I told the manager about my idea and the interest of others and he was extremely excited about it and encouraged me to get as many people as possible and throw a party. So....that's what we're going to do!

Camping out at the Blacksburg location.
We are camping out in front of Chipotle on Monday night for their grand opening on Tuesday, June 7. The store is scheduled to open at 11am and there is supposed to be a ribbon cutting ceremony beforehand and we'll be there for the celebration; not to mention, first in line for some burritos! The weather is supposed to be great and we've had some great response on Facebook from people who are interested in coming. We've also invited the newspaper, local tv stations, and radio stations in the hopes that they'll come out. We are excited about welcoming Chipotle into the Roanoke community and excited about being able to eat there ALL THE TIME!

And I'm quite certain of what my first order will be: Carnitas Burrito with Rice, Black Beans, Cheese, Lettuce, Pico de Gallo, & Corn Salsa. I can't wait!

0 comments: