Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Joe Knows Dough

People always say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I've never really jumped on that bandwagon because I'm not a big fan of most breakfast foods and I have to make myself eat in the morning. Since it is an important meal in regards to getting your metabolism started, I usually try to eat something healthy like fruit, granola, toast, etc. Starting the day with a doughnut, or having a doughnut at any point during the day, isn't the healthiest thing in the world - but it's almost impossible to pass up when the doughnut is from Blue Collar Joe's.

Blue Collar Joe's is a family owned doughnut and coffee shop located in Daleville, VA, which is about 15 minutes from downtown Roanoke. Instead of constructing a new building, Blue Collar Joe's sits in what used to be a gas station, and they offer a drive through for people who might be in a hurry. The store has received numerous local dining awards for their doughnuts and coffee and they have been featured nationally on Fox News and Food Network for their creative flavors. While Joe's has gained more and more attention around the nation, they still haven't lost their neighborhood-doughnut shop mentality.

Brian Regan would be amazed!
I've been to Blue Collar Joe's multiple times, and I'm always impressed with their selection of doughnuts. They don't have a set menu, as the doughnuts are made fresh daily and they offer different varieties on a daily basis, but they do seem to have some regular staples. Because they do a great job of promoting themselves in the community and offering coupons, we have been able to try and enjoy many of their crazy flavors. Some of my favorites are: the Botetourt Bog (chocolate, chocolate, & more chocolate), German Chocolate Cake (chocolate, caramel, nuts, & coconut), Chocolate Cheesecake (yeah...it is filled with cheesecake), Turtle (chocolate, caramel, & nuts), and the Blueberry Pancake Breakfast (a blueberry doughnut with candied pieces of bacon sprinkled on top). It's pretty obvious that I'm a little partial to the chocolate flavors, which I don't deny. I prefer their chocolate cake doughnuts to any of the other flavors I've had and I love the flavor combinations they pair with the chocolate. And the blueberry, pancake, bacon combination is just awesome.

I got two boxen of doughnuts.
It seems like most of the doughnuts at Joe's are of the cake variety, making them more dense and filling. It doesn't really help them on the nutrition scale, but anyone who is looking for a healthy doughnut is wasting their time. The prices are a little more compared to Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, but this is a local business producing an excellent product. And I believe they offer a special happy hour during their final hour of the day, which means half price doughnuts! Blue Collar Joe's is also involved with the 3/50 Project, an initiative designed to encourage people to support local companies. I wish they weren't so far away because I can't justify driving an hour for doughnuts, but there are rumors they will be opening a location in downtown Roanoke - bad news for my wallet and my waistline. This place is a true gem in the Roanoke Valley and I hope they continue to succeed.

Blue Collar Joe's on Urbanspoon

0 comments: