Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Best Thing I Ever Ate: Thai

I'm a big fan of The Best Thing I Ever Ate show that comes on Food Network and decided I want to have my own version on the blog. The show features chefs from the Food Network and other people in the food industry and they talk about the best thing they ever ate in a particular type/genre of food. So...I'll pick a type of food and share the best thing I've ever had in that genre and hopefully provide a link and recommendation for the restaurant where I had it. What's our first type of food and the inspiration for this project? Thai!

Surin Baskets - Surin of Thailand, Atlanta, GA
I don't think we would have tried the Surin Baskets when we had dinner at Surin this week but the appetizers were half-price and we decided to give them a try. Thank the Lord for 1/2 price apps! Before we'd finished the first plate of them, I had already ordered a second plate! Surin Baskets are this incredible combination of chicken, corn, shrimp, cilantro, onion, & spices in a mini pastry basket. There's nothing in that list of ingredients that I don't love so I was in culinary heaven. The pastry had a perfect crunch and the flavors blended together wonderfully. And to make it even better - they serve a honey-peanut cucumber sauce that you put in the little basket. There was depth of flavor in the spices and combination of all the ingredients and everything tasted incredibly fresh. They serve 6 of these baskets on a plate and I'm pretty sure I could have ordered 60 of them and finished every one. So if you're ever looking for some great Thai food in Atlanta, stop by Surin and have some Surin Baskets.

0 comments: