Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Trip to Lew's

Last Friday night, we experienced another culinary adventure thanks to the purchase of a Daily Deal coupon. When I first learned about Groupon, Living Social, and other sorts of daily coupon websites, I thought this was a great idea. Now, I just think these coupons end up being a trap that entices you to spend money to go to a restaurant you have little interest going to - and you end up going right before the expiration date to make sure you even use the coupon. This exact thing happens to us all the time, and it did again this past Friday night when we went to Lew's, a restaurant in north Roanoke on Williamson Road.

I knew very little about Lew's, other than hearing my grandparents constantly rave about it. However, my grandparents tend to have strange tastes in food and restaurants, so this did not give me a great deal of confidence. I was very skeptical when I would hear my grandmother say, "it's so good because they make everything fresh." When we pulled into the parking lot, Lew's did not strike me as the type of place that would place a high priority on fresh ingredients. The decor is...interesting. It reminds me of a basement that someone is trying to decorate with whatever they find at garage/yard sales and thrift stores. The booth didn't really fit against the wall and they had a nice TV but it was kind of tucked away awkwardly in the corner. It wasn't terrible, but seemed to be "under construction."

Deluxe Pizza
As for the menu, it looked to be typical American/Sports Bar food. They offered burgers, sandwiches, salads, pizzas, and a few entrees. We ordered a plate of Beer Fries for the table and I ordered a Deluxe Pizza as my meal. The Beer Fries arrived before the rest of the food and I thought these were the highlight. A bit on the greasy side, but crispy and had good flavor. My pizza was more on the underwhelming side. As a Deluxe Pizza, it was topped with pepperoni, sausage, ham, mushrooms, peppers, & onions. I would have liked it more had they put the veggies on while the pizza was in the oven, but those were thrown on after the pizza had already cooked. The sauce wasn't particularly good and the crust was nothing memorable. It wasn't disastrous, but not worth getting again. Actually, that reflects my thoughts on the entire experience.

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of Lew's. The service was okay, but we had to wait a while before anyone noticed our table. I wouldn't consider returning based on the flavor of the food. And the atmosphere certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Suffice to say, next time Lew's puts up a Daily Deal coupon, we'll show better judgement and hold off on making that purchase.

Lews Restaurant on Urbanspoon

0 comments: