Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fiesta!

When Nicole and I lived in Orlando, we had to be creative about how we spent our time together. Being newlyweds, it was a transition to be living together in a new city and learning how to balance how we spent our time. She worked a typical 9-5 schedule and I was working nights and weekends. On top of that, we lived in the tourist capital of the world and had no money to do anything. If we wanted to figure out a fun activity or good place to eat, we had to do it on a tight budget. Thank goodness for Azteca D'Oro.

Azteca probably ended up being my favorite restaurant in Orlando. It's a Mexican place that's away from the amusement/theme park section of Orlando, making it a more locally known establishment. The atmosphere is a bit cliche - complete with a mariachi band and crazy, colorful decorations, but the food is delicious. And we weren't the only people who thought so. Anytime we went to Azteca, there was a steady crowd of people and we almost always had to wait for a table.

The wait was never a big deal because once seated, you'd begin an eating adventure that would leave you completely stuffed and satisfied with wonderful Mexican food. To start, a server would bring out fresh chips & salsa. Always a good sign when the chips are hot and have a great crunch. The queso dip is also a great addition if you're looking for more than just salsa. Now, because of our attempt to be frugal, Nicole and I always shared a combination platter. We could choose from 3 different items and the type of meat we wanted in each, plus rice, beans, & vegetables, and the platter would cost around $13. These platters were huge - served in a dish the equivalent of a 14-inch pizza pan. Not bad for two people to have a great meal.

I wish I could recommend specific things, but they were all so good! I could mention the chicken chimichanga, but I wouldn't want to leave out the burrito with the picadillo or the chalupa with ground beef. Actually, you could put the picadillo on an old shoe and it would taste great. Picadillo is a combination of shredded beef and pork, and Azteca's version of it has wonderful flavor, juice, spice, tenderness, and...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

The more I think about it, the more I'm regretting writing this post because it's giving me a huge craving. It has been way too long since I've had a meal at Azteca. The next time Nicole and I make our way down to Orlando, we'll head to Azteca D'Oro for a fiesta and enjoy some great Mexican food and remember our times of being cheap, crazy newlyweds in the most magical place on earth.

Azteca D'Oro on Urbanspoon

0 comments: