Friday, July 29, 2011

Add the Wasabi

I love good sushi and sashimi. I'm not talking about the ridiculous sorts of maki rolls you can find all over the place. I'm talking about varieties of fresh, raw fish. To me, finding a good sushi restaurant is an opportunity to try an exotic type of food that is presented in a way that highlights the natural flavor. In my opinion, Wasabi's meets the bill of a great sushi restaurant (despite their bad website).

Wasabi's is located on Market Street in downtown Roanoke, right beside the city's Historic Farmers Market. The Farmers Market serves fresh fruits and vegetables on one side of the street while Wasabi's serves fresh fish on the other side. And although I don't consider Roanoke to be a city that is crazy about sushi, it is tough to get a table at this popular Japanese spot during the weekday lunch hour.

I wasn't the first one in my family to discover Wasabi's. As is the case with most sushi restaurants, my dad beat me to the punch. He has been eating sushi and sashimi on a weekly basis for the past 15 years and has tried restaurants all over the country. He ranks Wasabi's near the top. He has reached that level where he is able to walk in to the restaurant and they know his name and what he'll be ordering without even asking him. In my limited experiences, I'd agree with him.

The key to great sushi is the freshness of the fish. Not only can old fish make you very ill, it just doesn't taste very good. For something that typically isn't cheap, no one wants to have a meal that doesn't taste good and has a chance of making them sick. Fortunately, I've never had a problem with anything being less than fresh from Wasabi's.

Wasabi Special
I normally go for lunch (usually joining my dad and his group of friends) and now order the same thing every time. The Wasabi Special features a Spicy Tuna Roll, Salmon Maki, California Roll, and four pieces of nigiri from the chef. Usually, the four pieces are some variety of eel, snapper, tuna, and salmon. The special also comes with your choice of a soup or salad, and I always opt for the salad. In terms of the fish that is served, I don't think I could pick a favorite. The rolls and selections of nigiri are both excellent, and the portions are generous without being overwhelming. The presentation is simple but elegant, and there aren't any bizarre sauces or other random ingredients smeared around the plate. As mentioned earlier, everything tastes very fresh and the chef allows the flavors of the fish to shine. And at around $9, I think it's the best value for sushi in the entire city.

In my work, I am fortunate to have the opportunity to talk to people about restaurants in the Roanoke area, especially downtown. I recommend all sorts of places all over the city and hope I direct people to an enjoyable dining experience. Whenever they ask me my favorite place to eat downtown, I tell them Wasabi's.

Wasabi's on Urbanspoon

0 comments: